Monday, July 25, 2022

Hacks, Phishes and Security: Part One- Facebook and Facebook Messenger

 

Have you been ever been hacked? Received texts or emails which looked fake? Wondered how to know what's real or not? Look no further, I will cover that and many other things connected to security in this series of special posts. Let's begin this first post and talk about...

FACEBOOK  AND FACEBOOK MESSENGER
I'll begin by warning everyone to NEVER USE THE FACEBOOK MESSENGER APP. As per a December 2020 Forbes Magazine article written by Zak Doffman, "Facebook Messenger doesn’t offer end-to-end encryption by default. This isn’t some niche security setting for you to overlook, this is absolutely fundamental to the security and privacy of your information."

I can't tell you the number of times that a Facebook friend has had their account hacked. The reason for this can fall into a few categories: poor password, the person used Messenger, or they used third party apps they connected with through the Facebook app. Here are a few examples:



Any time I personally see a notification that someone messaged me on FB, I immediately check with them to see if they actually sent me something. Nine out of ten times they hadn't.

To protect your Facebook account, it is also important to go over your own personal settings. Many are hidden, and it will take a while to do, but it will be well worth it. You can follow the video below and go step-by-step through the process.

I'll close this first part with how to make a proper password. DO NOT EVER use the same password for more than one of your accounts. You can follow this infographic I created to assist you:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddToAny