Tuesday, February 12, 2013

What My Father Taught Me

This past Friday night, my father passed away after a long illness. Although he had lived with Alzheimer's for the last 12 years, it wasn't until the last five when it really reared its ugly head. Throughout it all, my father's kind, gentle, loving personality never faltered; the aides, nurses, social workers etc. at the home where he resided found him a pleasure and loads of fun.

Dad always saw the good in people and was so honest that when a waitress gave him an incorrect check in his favor, he brought it to her attention because he didn't want her to have to pay out of her own pocket for the mistake. It is this type of behavior that I have tried to follow; this kindness and unconditional love I will always remember about him.

This disease needs to be stopped. There is currently no cure and the number of Alzheimer's patients is rising.  I have posted a brief video about the statistics. Thanks for letting me veer off topic today to grieve.

9 comments:

  1. Julie, I'm sorry to read about your loss. What a blessing your father's kindness remained with him through that terrible disease. I was lucky to have a kind and loving dad as well, and the older I get the more I cherish that about him. Please accept my condolences, and I hope your memories of your dad help you through your grief.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry for your loss. My grandmother passed away this Christmas after a long battle with dementia. It is a very sad disease.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, I'm so sorry for your pain and sadness. My Mom also died of Alzheimers... and my grandmother, so I'm also very passionate about supporting the search for a cure. Funny, after 4 years, I really only think about my mom as a healthy, funny person. Time has a way of blessing our memories that way...believe it our not.

    Cherie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cherie. I am sorry about your losses as well. I will always think of my dad as that warm, funny person.

      Delete
  4. Julie,

    You are in my prayers, Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Mary and Shannon for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Julie,

    My name is Mary. We met each other on January 19th at the support group in Rockleigh, NJ. I'm so sorry for your loss. I have fond memories of your Dad. Once in awhile when I would visit my Mom, your Dad would talk to me. He was a very sweet man with a great sense of humor. My condolences to you and your family.

    Sincerely,

    Mary

    PS I would really like to keep in touch with you. My email address is: mag79@nj.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary-
    Thank you so much for the condolences and for sharing your memory of my dad. I greatly appreciate the effort.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

AddToAny